You might think, because it comes from a municipal treatment facility, that city water does not require any further treatment or conditioning. Unfortunately, this is not always true.
Municipalities have the responsibility of providing water that meets the EPA standards for health and safety for consumption. They do not have to remove anything that affects your home or the aesthetic benefits that come with quality water.
They are also responsible for adding various amounts of chlorine to the water to keep it free from bacteria as it travels to your home. Once you are ready to use the water, the chlorine is no longer needed and can cause harsh tastes, odors, and dry out your skin.
A water analysis completed on your home water supply can reveal underlying issues with your city water, which could be causing problems such as scum build up in the tub, dry skin and hair, or water that tastes like a swimming pool.
Potential city water problems include:
- Inadequate removal of calcium and magnesium carbonate (a.k.a “hard water”) – causes scale and soap scum
- High levels of chlorine – affecting taste, smell, and dries out skin
- PFOA chemicals and lead – can be introduced into your water after it leaves their facility
For city water problems, a WaterBoss can help:
If you live in the city, the WaterBoss Model 950 Water Softener is your choice for whole-house softening and filtering. This system can soften up to 35 grains per gallon and at the same time reduce chlorine taste and odors.
- Mixed media bed also functions as a chlorine remover
- Functions as a drinking water filter through chlorine reduction
- Improves the quality of your drinking water
- Reduces hard water scale buildup in plumbing and appliances
- Prevents soap scum sticking to surfaces
- Built-in, self-cleaning whole-house filter – no cartridges to change
- Model 900IF iron filter can be used in tandem for city water containing iron
To learn more, see the Water Softeners page for detailed specifications.